Skip to main content

Fourth of July, St. Augustine Style

Making a decision about my Fourth of July plans this year was basically my hardest decision I've ever encountered. I had to choose from family and friends' traditional Lake Weir festivities, celebrating in Infamous Jax Beach style with some old friends and potential to make more, and later had the addition of St. Augustine with Les and Brad to confuse me even more. After more than a week of debating, getting advise from everyone, and setting my GPS to the lake once out of work on Friday, I wound up changing route and decided on St. Augustine. Though the lake is always a good time and I'd be spending with some of the bests and family, the idea of celebrating in a whole new way was too enticing. 

Once Brad and I made it to St. Augustine, I was so glad I chose this. (A statement made several times throughout the night). We met Les and Gabby at Conch House Marina, where they were working/hanging with us til fireworks time. We passed a good friend, Diane, on her way out, who fortunately decided to turn back around and celebrated with us. 

This ended up being such a great fourth. "Sittin on the dock of the bay, wastin time," with Brad and new friends was so appreciated. I got a warmer heart, just from the perfectly joyful on-looker next to me that would literally shake from excitement at every burst of her favorite firework. 
"This is when they start playing Proud to be an American at the fort," said Leslie. 
Commence our rendition of the song, making one of my favorite moments of the night. 
I attributed my hoarse voice the next morning to this instance, plus another belting at a pub, but as Leslie pointed out,
 "Pretty sure we had enthusiasm with every sentence that came out. Haha. BEST FOURTH EVAAAARRRR." 
After the fireworks, we walked cartwheel over the bridge to the British Pub (I'm sure we would've gone to The American Pub had there been one?), continued to White Lion for friends and dancing jigs, and then made The Fort our playground, for some extreme entertainment. Les and I attempted a Fort Invasion but unfortunately that's not as easy as hoped. I continued, convinced that another entrance had to exist. Along the way I fully took on character... 
"Shhh! Don't give me away! I'm a Brit... Or Spanish? I'm not really sure. But I'm invading!" as I alerted the surprise(d) picnickers around the corner.  
"I think it was the Spanish," oh so helpful strangers said. 
"Ok yes! Spanish! I'm just gonna climb this here fort. Don't mind me." (Said with an attempted British/Spanish accent)
"Do you want some encouragents and cheers?"
"Absolutely!"

Apparently the Americans had thought about this climbing the fort tactic and made it out of super painful shells. It was a no go. As was the search for my sandals after said climbing. 

Friends and I were reunited and enjoyed some serious laughs on the grassy knoll by the fort. I was trying to remember some of the awesome quotes or conversations but no luck. 
"OMG I laughed hysterically and remember nothing,
Leslie said, when I hoped she might remember. 

The night wasn't flawless though. This was made certain by the cab drivers that should not be cab drivers. 
It wouldn't have been complete without some misplaced keys, but they were retrieved with ease from the fort. Thank goodness. But these just added to the story of course of this epic Independence Day. 

What better place to celebrate the good ol' USA's birth than growing friendships with some of my favorites, with beautiful marina views, in the Oldest City in America? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 in Review (Plus 2020-2022, oops)

I am super bummed to realize that I haven't done a yearly review/highlights since 2019! That's FOUR YEARS ago! Pre covid, pre Oregon, pre master's degree, pre return to Florida, pre a million babies being born... So much has changed! It's always to nice to sit back and look at all that happens in a year too.  It's now February. I started this post in December and was about to go and try to edit and make it all fancy with links to other posts and all kinds of cool things.... I'm sure there are some mistakes even with the years, things left out... but progress over perfection right? We're just going posting it in 3...2...1... Have fun!  2023   1. Bike bike biking everywhere. To the Grom for tasty lunch treats, Indian almost every week, grocery shopping, to the gym, just to bike around in the sun. It's been great!   2. All the babies came: Lowey-Balls, Krupkas, Bakers, neighbor friends x2, Sarkissians, and even more to come!  3. Finally got the best job wit

Opposite Ends (Atlantic to Pacific)

It's been over a year since being back in Florida. I started thinking of some of these comparisons shortly after returning, but now I have even more to add. And it's more comparing the Oregon Coast to this area, of course. If you're new here, we were in Pacific City, OR a little old town of ~1000 people. Now we're in Atlantic Beach, FL.  1. The amount of laundry. I'd say 3 shirts a day in the summer is typical for this Florida heat and humidity. Go for a morning walk, change shirts...  Plant some flowers. Gotta change... Workout, definitely change. Shower, dog walk-- one more change before the night's done.  2. The bank and post office are open on Saturdays here! And restaurants don't close for the winter.  3. Florida neighborhood strolls: Seeing 10+ humans on every walk compared to often only 0. I love the community here! Lovely neighbors, gym rats, baristas. Even my parents! The Padres moved 40 minutes away vs 2.5! Yahoo! Pacific City was just so empty. On

Home

  Home is where the heart is .  Home is wherever I'm with you .                       Home is where you are .   Home is where I wanna be.     Home is inside you .  Now for the good news I postponed from the previous post for a combination of organization, suspense, and getting the chance to use another cliche...     After my travels so far, my original thinking that I would be so likely to stay in Europe have changed a little. As I began to realize during my American road trip, and I think I mentioned in my posts about it, it's really important to me to stay close to my family, especially when I have one of my own. So I started thinking that maybe the best thing would be to go and live abroad and explore until wanting to settle down with a family and all. Now these thoughts have become even more clear.  Being so far from home has made me realize just how much I love and miss my family, and how I don't want to miss much more of their lives.      It's been interesting too