Skip to main content

Tivoli and Rugby

         Adding another great week to the list for my time in Denmark. Last Tuesday, I went to an international gathering for students at DTU (Denmark Technical Institute) at the Cellar Bar. I met a couple cool people there from Belgium (Ruben), Canada, France, and Denmark and met back up with a couple of them on Friday night. We went to see one of their Spanish friends play a Latin set at a bar in the city. On our way there, we were a bit worried at how this place would be considering it was on the street well known for its... Services. But we got to the Luna Bar and it wound up being really fun. The band was actually excellent, and had everyone dancing. Ruben and his friends were a lot of fun to hang out with.
         On Saturday, I went to Tivoli, the second oldest theme park, with the family and met Claus' parents and sister there. It's no wonder Tivoli inspired Walt Disney to do his own thing. It's a beautiful amusement park with incredible flowers everywhere (apparently the most flowers in one area or some statistic), lights all around, beautiful stages for concerts and performances, awesome rides, great food (not just theme park food), and good views of the city.
         Danes know what they're doing with food. I haven't had a bad meal yet. Claus was my partner for the scary rides, but we, of course, did lots of kid rides, which were actually really fun too. The Golden Tower, the kind that takes you up and drops you, was definitely the best, but another that was like a swing that spun around taking you up to the top was also really fun and gave the best view of the city.
         The family left around 7 but encouraged me to stay to get my full use out of the endless ride pass they got me, and to see all the lights at night. So I stayed after for a couple hours, did some rides again, and tried to get the nerve to do this super crazy ride. After 5 minutes of waiting in line, watching the brave souls before me sit in a plane that went in 10 HUGE perpendicular circles... spinning around in erratic motions... for 2 whole minutes, I just couldn't do it.
        I went on to get the most delicious ice cream instead. I still want seconds of that.
       I headed out to the city to see what I could get into. Since I had a non-functioning phone, I wasn't able to get a hold of anyone to meet up with, so I went to Charlie Scott's, where I at least knew the bartenders. It didn't take long to meet people there. It helped that it was game night, with a bar full of rugby players, and I was the only girl. Supposedly one of the guys was pretty famous in Denmark but I wasn't sure if it was just a ploy. They were all a lot of fun and introduced me to some dice game that didn't make much sense.
      It wound up being quite a fun night.

     I've found that racing, hopping, cartwheeling, slap jack, and flying in the air are pretty solid go-to's with playing with children no matter the language. Pretty exhausted now after a day of cleaning so I'm out!

Flowers at Tivoli
Eva Kirstine and I on a ride at Bakken
Tivoli

Comments

  1. Leave it to you to meet some famous people in a random bar. I LOVE the way you blend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so jealous! And I hope you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to scroll through the pics before I read the post since I was down a couple posts...I was going to say "Looks like you're at Disney World" but you beat me to it! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah it was awesome! Super pretty and really fun rides!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2023 in Review (Plus 2020-2022, oops)

I am super bummed to realize that I haven't done a yearly review/highlights since 2019! That's FOUR YEARS ago! Pre covid, pre Oregon, pre master's degree, pre return to Florida, pre a million babies being born... So much has changed! It's always to nice to sit back and look at all that happens in a year too.  It's now February. I started this post in December and was about to go and try to edit and make it all fancy with links to other posts and all kinds of cool things.... I'm sure there are some mistakes even with the years, things left out... but progress over perfection right? We're just going posting it in 3...2...1... Have fun!  2023   1. Bike bike biking everywhere. To the Grom for tasty lunch treats, Indian almost every week, grocery shopping, to the gym, just to bike around in the sun. It's been great!   2. All the babies came: Lowey-Balls, Krupkas, Bakers, neighbor friends x2, Sarkissians, and even more to come!  3. Finally got the best job wit

Home

  Home is where the heart is .  Home is wherever I'm with you .                       Home is where you are .   Home is where I wanna be.     Home is inside you .  Now for the good news I postponed from the previous post for a combination of organization, suspense, and getting the chance to use another cliche...     After my travels so far, my original thinking that I would be so likely to stay in Europe have changed a little. As I began to realize during my American road trip, and I think I mentioned in my posts about it, it's really important to me to stay close to my family, especially when I have one of my own. So I started thinking that maybe the best thing would be to go and live abroad and explore until wanting to settle down with a family and all. Now these thoughts have become even more clear.  Being so far from home has made me realize just how much I love and miss my family, and how I don't want to miss much more of their lives.      It's been interesting too

Opposite Ends (Atlantic to Pacific)

It's been over a year since being back in Florida. I started thinking of some of these comparisons shortly after returning, but now I have even more to add. And it's more comparing the Oregon Coast to this area, of course. If you're new here, we were in Pacific City, OR a little old town of ~1000 people. Now we're in Atlantic Beach, FL.  1. The amount of laundry. I'd say 3 shirts a day in the summer is typical for this Florida heat and humidity. Go for a morning walk, change shirts...  Plant some flowers. Gotta change... Workout, definitely change. Shower, dog walk-- one more change before the night's done.  2. The bank and post office are open on Saturdays here! And restaurants don't close for the winter.  3. Florida neighborhood strolls: Seeing 10+ humans on every walk compared to often only 0. I love the community here! Lovely neighbors, gym rats, baristas. Even my parents! The Padres moved 40 minutes away vs 2.5! Yahoo! Pacific City was just so empty. On