Skip to main content

Danish Delights

A lot of people have been asking about recipes here, so here are a few I've done. There'll be more to come!


  Now, Danes are the biggest meat consumers in the WORLD, so if you're a vegetarian, you might not find too many recipes to try here. These first two maybe but very few others.


Apple porridge
delicious for a snack, breakfast, in your oatmeal, etc. And super simple


Ingredients:
Apples (however many you want. Maybe start with like 15)
Water (~3-5 cups)
Vanilla (sticks of vanilla are good so it continues to give more and more flavor)
Sugar (~2 cups)


Soo...
Skin all the apples. 
Chop em all up into bite-sized pieces.
Make sure all the hard pieces are off the core.
Throw em in a big pot with the water, sugar and vanilla. 
Let those babies soak until they get soft enough to smoosh. 
Mush em all up and let cool, keep in the fridge and enjoy!


Fiske Frikadeller (definitely a favorite)
You can get the meat mixture pre-made here, but here is the recipe for the Americans.



Ingredients
:

2lbs mild white fish (cod, halibut or tilapia are good)

3 slices of bacon or 3 ounces salmon (optional)

1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs

3/4 cup milk

2 eggs lightly beaten

1/2 small onion

1/2 lemon, zested

Small handful of parsley and/or dill

1tsp salt (less if with bacon/salmon)

Pepper to taste 


Directions:


If you already have the mix, just throw it on the frying pan with butter in burger-sized blobs. Cook it up and serve with the following remoulade.

If you don't have the mix:

Put milk, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in bowl and let soak,

In a food processor, put onions, lemon zest and herbs and pulse til fine.

Add in fish and pulse til it has the consistency of coarse pudding.

Put onto frying pan with butter and cook it up!



Remoulade sauce
(they eat it with everything)

1/4 cup mayo

1/4 cup Greek yogurt

1Tbs chopped, fresh parsley and/or dill

2Tbs finely chopped red onion

2Tbs finely chopped tart pickles

2tsp fresh lemon juice

1tsp mild curry

Pepper to taste

Mix it up and chill!




  Other good meals I've had that would be easy to copy are the kylling og sød chili (chicken and sweet chili) which was just a sandwich with chopped up chicken, romaine lettuce or spinach, cucumbers, bacon, and a sweet chili sauce.


  Putting cucumbers on burgers is also a new, delicious idea.


  Rugbrød, or rye bread, is probably one of the most popular things here and it's delicious! Smørrebrød, or open sandwiches, are the most popular lunches for them. They do quarters of this rye bread with a variety of toppings... Smoked salmon, mackerel (one of my favorites), sausage (they're crazy about sausage), butter with strips of chocolate, leverpostej (liver pate... Not a favorite) skinkesalat (ham salad... Also great) or other options.


  Herring is very popular among the Danes as well. They eat it marinated in vinegar, curry, or other marinades.


  I don't know if it's just my family's habits, but we don't eat salad dressing on our salads (except my craisin salad dressing I introduced), so that's one way they keep their beautiful figures.

They also don't eat a ton of cheese or deep fried foods.


  The pictures are some of the things I've had here... The smoked salmon sandwich with cucumbers and delicious sauce with a Carlsberg, one of the Danes' favorite beer, a Danish pastry, the best carrot cake muffin ever with a yummy cafe latte, the apple porridge I made, and an example of the smørrebrød they have for lunch.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 in Review (Plus 2020-2022, oops)

I am super bummed to realize that I haven't done a yearly review/highlights since 2019! That's FOUR YEARS ago! Pre covid, pre Oregon, pre master's degree, pre return to Florida, pre a million babies being born... So much has changed! It's always to nice to sit back and look at all that happens in a year too.  It's now February. I started this post in December and was about to go and try to edit and make it all fancy with links to other posts and all kinds of cool things.... I'm sure there are some mistakes even with the years, things left out... but progress over perfection right? We're just going posting it in 3...2...1... Have fun!  2023   1. Bike bike biking everywhere. To the Grom for tasty lunch treats, Indian almost every week, grocery shopping, to the gym, just to bike around in the sun. It's been great!   2. All the babies came: Lowey-Balls, Krupkas, Bakers, neighbor friends x2, Sarkissians, and even more to come!  3. Finally got the best job wit

Home

  Home is where the heart is .  Home is wherever I'm with you .                       Home is where you are .   Home is where I wanna be.     Home is inside you .  Now for the good news I postponed from the previous post for a combination of organization, suspense, and getting the chance to use another cliche...     After my travels so far, my original thinking that I would be so likely to stay in Europe have changed a little. As I began to realize during my American road trip, and I think I mentioned in my posts about it, it's really important to me to stay close to my family, especially when I have one of my own. So I started thinking that maybe the best thing would be to go and live abroad and explore until wanting to settle down with a family and all. Now these thoughts have become even more clear.  Being so far from home has made me realize just how much I love and miss my family, and how I don't want to miss much more of their lives.      It's been interesting too

Opposite Ends (Atlantic to Pacific)

It's been over a year since being back in Florida. I started thinking of some of these comparisons shortly after returning, but now I have even more to add. And it's more comparing the Oregon Coast to this area, of course. If you're new here, we were in Pacific City, OR a little old town of ~1000 people. Now we're in Atlantic Beach, FL.  1. The amount of laundry. I'd say 3 shirts a day in the summer is typical for this Florida heat and humidity. Go for a morning walk, change shirts...  Plant some flowers. Gotta change... Workout, definitely change. Shower, dog walk-- one more change before the night's done.  2. The bank and post office are open on Saturdays here! And restaurants don't close for the winter.  3. Florida neighborhood strolls: Seeing 10+ humans on every walk compared to often only 0. I love the community here! Lovely neighbors, gym rats, baristas. Even my parents! The Padres moved 40 minutes away vs 2.5! Yahoo! Pacific City was just so empty. On