Skip to main content

Sunny Scotland

          Making my way back home after three great days in Scotland. On Thursday, David and I did a tour of Edinburgh which was really nice. We met up with two of his friends for lunch there, and I had cullen skink, a traditional Scotish dish... a potato soup with fish basically. Was really good. This was our super touristy day, doing a bus tour where we learned about the "horrible histories" of Edinburgh which mostly consisted of executions, then we toured The Real Mary King's Close. This is an underground street that resulted from the building of the "new town." When they built the new town, they just built it right on top of the old one. They often kept plague victims down there. Edinburgh was a really unique city, with the castle right in the middle of the city.
          That night, we headed back to Glasgow to meet a lot of his friends out for a couple drinks before heading to an Indian restaurant. I come to Scotland and get Indian food two nights in a row... Haha it was really good though and the company was even better. Everyone was so interesting and unique. There were people from England, Ireland, and Scotland and all so funny in their unique ways too; there was Leo, an Irishman whose "forte was bad jokes," Ross, a lively Scot, who was described as a socialite with ADHD, Tina with an awesome, eccentric personality and great stories, reminding me of Jeanetta, Ian, an Englishman with a wildman persona, and David with his spot on sarcasm. They were all part of a BBC show, Waterloo Road, so I'm definitely going to have to check it out soon. Dave and I went back early as we were shattered from the long day. 
             As most of them said, Friday was "the most Scottish day they'd had in a long time." David and three of his friends, Leo, Ross, and Charlotte, and I packed into the car and drove to the mountains. We drove by Loch Lomond (a lake near Glasgow), Luss (a cute little town by the lake with incredible mountain views... And tablet that I had to try which is like praline), and Odan, our last stop that was another picturesque little town where we had lunch. We had lots of theatrical singing of musical songs, the accent game ending in the whole car just being super impressed with Charlottes's posh, English accent, and learning lots of random facts from Leo, like Jimi writing a song about his girlfriend drinking Jagger's blood and many more trivia facts. We also learned all about everything
that started/was invented in Scotland... Basically everything. It was an unbelievably beautiful drive through the highlands of Scotland, with cool people, good humor, and great roadtripping music thanks to Ross. We even got to see a highland cow!
            After a long day of driving, we made it back to Glasgow around 7 and were off to the céilidh shortly after. I nearly thought about missing it since I was so tired and the long, early travel day ahead seemed daunting, but luckily I talked myself out of missing out on something so cool. I figured that'd be crazy to miss Scotland's traditional Scottish dance while in Scotland. After dinner where I tried some haggis, and wasn't a huge fan, we went to Sloans, a bar that Maria had told me about that has céilidhs every Friday. It was such a good time. We only stayed for a couple dances because David needed to rest his leg, and I needed rest for my flight. I'm so glad we went though. The dances were so fun and it was just a really good laugh. 
              Oh and the weather was surprisingly amazing in Scotland! Super blue, sunny skies and not so cold. Glasgow had a pretty serious reputation about being a really tough n rough town that just cusses, fights, and drinks all the time, but I think not! I really liked it. Granted I did tend to go for the "bad boys" in school, but I think this city deserves more glory. Everyone I met was wonderful and the city was super unique, interesting, and filled with cool history. The bars and area we went one night were great too with pretty little cobblestone paths lit by cute lights. Very cozy. 
                                And now I'm on the plane, making my way back to the lovely CPH!

   And a special thanks to... 
Kelli and David. I'm beyond grateful to both of you for being such great hosts and guides for me. It's crazy to think too, that I'd only really seen David for like two days before going to visit him in Scotland. It felt like we'd been good friends for a while! He was really worried about me not having a good time since he wasn't so mobile but it was a great time anyway! 
 Thanks to all of their friends too that were so nice and fun, making the trip a good one, with a special thanks to Leo for driving me to the airport and Charlotte for driving us all around Scotland! 
 Tusind tak, alle! 

See you soon Copenhagen! :)
Some awesome pictures of the roadtrip thanks to Leo!
The whole roadtripping crew... Ross, David, me, Charlotte and Leo 









The castle used in the Downton Abbey Christmas special!
Photo credit: Tina Hicks :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 in Review (Plus 2020-2022, oops)

I am super bummed to realize that I haven't done a yearly review/highlights since 2019! That's FOUR YEARS ago! Pre covid, pre Oregon, pre master's degree, pre return to Florida, pre a million babies being born... So much has changed! It's always to nice to sit back and look at all that happens in a year too.  It's now February. I started this post in December and was about to go and try to edit and make it all fancy with links to other posts and all kinds of cool things.... I'm sure there are some mistakes even with the years, things left out... but progress over perfection right? We're just going posting it in 3...2...1... Have fun!  2023   1. Bike bike biking everywhere. To the Grom for tasty lunch treats, Indian almost every week, grocery shopping, to the gym, just to bike around in the sun. It's been great!   2. All the babies came: Lowey-Balls, Krupkas, Bakers, neighbor friends x2, Sarkissians, and even more to come!  3. Finally got the best job wit

Home

  Home is where the heart is .  Home is wherever I'm with you .                       Home is where you are .   Home is where I wanna be.     Home is inside you .  Now for the good news I postponed from the previous post for a combination of organization, suspense, and getting the chance to use another cliche...     After my travels so far, my original thinking that I would be so likely to stay in Europe have changed a little. As I began to realize during my American road trip, and I think I mentioned in my posts about it, it's really important to me to stay close to my family, especially when I have one of my own. So I started thinking that maybe the best thing would be to go and live abroad and explore until wanting to settle down with a family and all. Now these thoughts have become even more clear.  Being so far from home has made me realize just how much I love and miss my family, and how I don't want to miss much more of their lives.      It's been interesting too

Opposite Ends (Atlantic to Pacific)

It's been over a year since being back in Florida. I started thinking of some of these comparisons shortly after returning, but now I have even more to add. And it's more comparing the Oregon Coast to this area, of course. If you're new here, we were in Pacific City, OR a little old town of ~1000 people. Now we're in Atlantic Beach, FL.  1. The amount of laundry. I'd say 3 shirts a day in the summer is typical for this Florida heat and humidity. Go for a morning walk, change shirts...  Plant some flowers. Gotta change... Workout, definitely change. Shower, dog walk-- one more change before the night's done.  2. The bank and post office are open on Saturdays here! And restaurants don't close for the winter.  3. Florida neighborhood strolls: Seeing 10+ humans on every walk compared to often only 0. I love the community here! Lovely neighbors, gym rats, baristas. Even my parents! The Padres moved 40 minutes away vs 2.5! Yahoo! Pacific City was just so empty. On